Thursday, May 20, 2010

FineScale Modeler - Painting Tips


Although my father and I have both recently returned to the hobby he introduced me to as a boy, I knew from his daily calls that his new hobby room would not be up and running when I arrived. What could I build on a sunny, sandy beach in south Florida? Something straight out of the box might be good. I couldn't imagine even my wife's hawk eyes finding any lost photoetched parts in the sand, so box-stock it would be. I know many modelers don't find it challenging to build straight out of the box, so I decided this particular piece would be primarily a painting project. After surveying my small collection of German armor for this painting exercise, I began to see I had a particular repetitive style of painting camouflage. I began to think that maybe we develop a personal style of painting camouflage, not too dissimilar to our own penmanship. "Here is my painting challenge," I thought. Having assembled my Tamiya Panzer IV (kit No. 35181) in Florida, I began my painting project back in Chicago. I decided I would use Silly Putty as a mask to paint each of my camouflage patterns by pushing and pulling the putty to produce shapes and contours that my particular style would not normally create. I was quite pleased with the results of this simple technique.

Download from (hotfile.com)

No comments: