The subject of this diorama is a U.S. Army field artillery unit deployed in the field during REFORGER '88. (he massive annual NATO exercise in Europe. The title "On Guard. Sir" is an actual artillery unit's motto. As a former artillery soldier in the South Korean army. I was assigned to a 105mm howitzer field artillery battery, and have wanted to do such a diorama for some time. I built the M110A2 using Italeri's M110 and VPs M110Al & A2 conversion kit (VP 0423). This kit was one of the easiest conversions I have ever dealt with. It was difficult to find detailed Ml 10 photos, but Mr. Verlinden's diorama from Showcase #4 helped me get my M110A2 in good shape. In addition to this self-propelled gun. I used the M548 from AFV Club and a M151A2 trailer from Tamiya. All the figures were fashioned from modern era VP soldiers using VP 0539. 0552. and 0585 Desert Storm figures. In my opinion, VP's Trees & Hedgerows (VP 0639) is the best scale foliage available. They were used throughout the diorama with no modification. VP's Desert Camouflage Net (VP 0582) was used for the netting, adding cilantro spice leaves to simulate the plastic leaves found on modern nets. The poles were fashioned from plastic rod.
Friday, January 8, 2010
I started with the car, which I freely admit is not an accurate representation of a specific vehicle, but the Peugeot-like compact sufficed to make the diorama work. Fitting six resin figures into a single car requires a degree of artistic license and I make no apologies to the purists out there. This one is for fun! It was built from sheet plastic and a lot of epoxy putty with clear styrene for windows. The wheels and tires I found in my scrapbox. I am constantly looking for anything that I can use in 120mm dioramas and anything I find that even remotely looks that scale goes into my stash. The interior is rather stark as I needed all the space possible to fit those six figures inside. All six were converted from the VP Panzergrenadier France (0476). using photos from a National Geographic magazine as reference. A lot of arms, legs and heads were used to give distinct personalities to what was originally the same figure.
at 1:26 AM