Thursday, July 18, 2013

Model Airplane International 02/2011

The interior is made up of plastic and etched parts and the moulding quality is almost equal to equivalent resin examples. The eagle-eyed readers among you may have noticed the different colour seat compared to John Wilkes impressive Spitfire (See lss.50), as in this instance the type had an all-metal version. A dark brown wash was given to the interior as I find enamel paint has a finer pigment than oil paints. During building I frequently study the later stages for any snags and this was fortunate because when I test-fitted the horizontal stabilizers (parts C29-CI9) their location holes did require some filing to get a snug fit. This would have been difficult if I had already closed up the fuselage. Finally, after dry-fitting, the cockpit and fuselage were permanently glued together and set aside to dry. Later I found a slight step along the nose section, so to correct this I sprayed light coats of Xtracolor matt base along the seam and allowed it to dry before sanding it smooth. It takes a couple of applications to get right but I was pleased with the results. A dry fit of the lower wing section to the fuselage showed a rather large gap.

No comments: