Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tony Greenland's Panzer Modelling Masterclass


The scale that I work in - 1:35 - is, I believe, the optimum; it provides the most comfortable size for detail work, and for the modeller who wishes to build up a collection it is the scale supported by the main manufacturers. While reference within this book supports that scale, I appreciate that there is an increasing interest in larger scales; while this is not my preference, it will put a greater onus on the modeller to include additional detail precluded by a smaller scale. Equally, while this book describes only German vehicles, most of the disciplines described are equally applicable to any AFV model. The title "Masterclass" (chosen, I hasten to add, by my publisher) supposes that most readers will have reached a certain stage in their modelling careers and will not be total novices. I hope that the contents of this book will appeal right across the spectrum of AFV modellers. The section on painting insignia would have made little sense without the inclusion of brief reference material on divisional and tactical markings. To those with a deep understanding of this subject I apologise for the brevity of the descriptions; whole books have been written exclusively on this extensive subject, and my objective here is purely to give the reader a good grounding, with reference to where a fuller discussion can be found.

No comments: