Sunday, May 24, 2009

Building Military Dioramas Vol.7


I recently acquired a book entitled "Battle of the Bulge Through the Lens", from the makers of After the Battle magazine. In it I found quite a few great pictures from the German attack in Poteau. featuring several American vehicles. I've been looking for an excuse to build the M3A2 Halftrack using the VP Update Set, and these pictures provided me with the inspiration to do so. Starting with an 8"x 8" piece of plywood. I added a piece of styrofoam cut at an angle to provide an embankment for a halftrack that has run off the road. I always try to compose my dioramas so thai they are not square to the base, and I also try to add some sloping ground in order to generate more interest and realism. As usual, I used Cell-U-Clay and small pebbles and sand to form the basic groundwork. While it was still wet I added some roots and static grass. After drying, the entire base was airbrushed with a Black-Brown mixture of Polly-Scale water-based paint. This was followed by several light coats of Browns and Tans to give the grass a wintery look. After I was happy with the color, I added 2 coats of "water", which consisted of Envirotex-light with a couple of drops of Dark Brown mixed In.

No comments: