Sunday, May 24, 2009

Modelling The Panzer IV in 1/72 Scale


I became interested in small-scale armour at a time when the Esci range of kits was still readily available. Not only was this range extensive, the kits were also well detailed and affordable. My local model shop had far more choice in this scale than 1/76. Ever since then I decided to stick with just the one scale and not mix them together. I suppose in that sense I'm a bit of a purist! Many of the aftermarket detailing sets are also to be found in 1/72 scale. Although 1 enjoy scratch-building my own details, I will use aftermarket items when appropriate. Photo-etched sets are available for many 1/72-scale kits, yet in contrast are very uncommon for 1/76 scale. However, there are many excellent 1/76-scale kits to be found in both resin and injection-moulded media. It also appears to be the scale of choice for many of the smaller model companies, with an impressive number of kits available from the likes of Cromwell Models, Milicast and others. Attempting to include these in a book of this size would be an impossible task, so the decision to focus solely on one scale was also a practical one.

No comments: