Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tamiya Model Magazine International 02/2014

I was quite happy when the Editor asked me to build Re veil's 1:32 Bfl09G-6. When it finally arrived I opened the box immediately and was amazed by the amount of plastic present. And the first impressions were very favourable, although some minor cons caught my eye almost immediately. I will address the most important ones as we go along but one thing has to be said from the start; given the price of the kit - it retails around €20 here in The Netherlands - Revell's efforts have to be recommended. This is possibly one of the nicest G6's around in this scale and it has huge potential for superdetailing. The G-6 is an impressive flying machine. It's easy to see that it is family of the earlier E-series which were swarming the skies over Europe only three years earlier. But the G series hasn't got the fragile looks of the E-series: this '109 was a battle hardened and menacing machine. It was made operational in mid 1942 and soon it became clear that it did have an Achilles heel; the G-series had to perform many different missions and its weight increased substantially. The petite dancer of the earlier days had become a heavy footed giant. Her firing power increased considerably. The G-6 is recognizable because of the two bulges in front of the canopy which give room to MG131 machine guns. Some 12,500 G-6s were built by the end of the war. That bulkiness was something I always wanted to portrait and the Revell kit offered me the opportunity to give my first G-6 a go.

No comments: