Thursday, December 5, 2013

Military Machines International 01/2014

I have been editing Military Machines International for just over thirteen years and while I regularly receive feedback from readers regarding the magazine's content, I was genuinely both shocked and amazed at the amount of correspondence I received regarding the article 'Those Were The Days' in the November issue in which I took a retrospective look back at how the Tank Museum has played a part in my life. If I had known that photos of myself in short trousers and NHS glasses was going to provoke such interest I would have done it earlier, however, it does seem that the national treasure that is the Tank Museum has played a key role in the lives of a great many MMI readers too, and it is the memories of those visits to the museum over the years that generated the real interest. Since it was first founded the museum has evolved into a bigger and better museum fit for the 21st Century, and we can only hope that generations to come continue to enjoy this and other similar museums for many years to come. Next year will see the commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the start of World War One and the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings, and no doubt many museums and historic military vehicles will be involved in those commemorations and I for one hope that our children and grandchildren and even their children will be able to commemorate the sacrifices made on our behalf for many more years to come with the aid of historic vehicle collections such as that housed at the Tank Museum-Ed.


No comments: