Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tamiya Model Magazine International 08/2013

In 1979, Ridley Scott's film 'Alien' introduced us to a new kind of science fiction and in 1986, its sequel 'Aliens' also delivered great action and amazing hardware design. The Dropship quickly became a favourite of mine and I knew I wanted a model of it some day. Halcyon had released a 1:72 kit in the late '80s but it was not readily available here in eastern Canada. And I really wanted something bigger. By the time 1995 came around, I had already tried my hand at scratchbuilding so 1 finally convinced myself to attempt the Dropship as my second scratchbuilding project. I decided on 1:35 to accompany my 1:35 APC kit that I was lucky enough to get my hands on the year before. At the time, the internet was not what it eventually became, so reference material was very scarce. So with my VHS copy of the film, a few photographs and approximate dimensions, I drew up three-view drawings and used these as my master blueprints.

No comments: