Friday, April 19, 2013

The Weathering Magazine Issue 04

The entire production run of the King Tiger only lasted a total of 14 months with the Serienturm versions only entering service in June 1944. This means that even a veteran vehicle surviving to the end of hostilities would perhaps be nine or ten months old and for the majority their combat life would be a matter of a few months at the most. When modelling the Maybach HL 230 P30 engine for my Trumpeter 1:16 scale King Tiger this was at the forefront of my vision for the look of my engine. Tempting as it is to model a chipped and corroded engine with leaking oil running down the sides and big greasy stains I just dont think this would be realistic for a relatively new high performance German engine. A leaky engine would be replaced and indeed the vehicle that I decided to model is shown in a series of photos having an engine changed within weeks of being delivered to Pz.Abt.505.

No comments: