Friday, April 16, 2010

AIR Modeller 28 (Feb/Mar 2010)


I have long held the Lightning as my all time favourite and when Trumpeter announced their 1/32 scale kits I was one happy Modeller. When the kits began to arrive people started to notice various errors, all of which can be fixed. I kept thinking about what I could do that would be out of the ordinary, to showcase this amazing aircraft in my chosen scale. My choice was slightly dictated by having two copies of the F1/3 kit, and I began research into the possibilities of making a T5 from the model. Once I had decided that this was going to be the way forward I searched my reference library and came up with several books dedicated to the beast with many different representations of the trainer and plans In several of the books. I chose one set and stuck to them because I considered it best to stick to a consistent reference point. At this stage I had not decided upon a colour scheme but I was considering either an all green machine or a green grey one. With a little more research I came up with the scheme that you see here which represents the Lightning XS458 from 5 Sqn on detachment to RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus for 11 Sqn Armament Practice Camp in 1980. I found two reasonable photos in my references and these served as the basis of my scheme. I was later handed a copy of an Air Enthusiast Magazine with a photograph of the right side of the fuselage.

Download from (hotfile.com)

No comments: