Thursday, August 14, 2014

Classic Military Vehicle 09/2014

Being a War and Peace 'virgin' it was a totally new experience for me; fascinating, fun, exhausting - and, of course, totally addictive. Indeed, having stayed on into the evening on most days trying to grab a few more snaps, I always felt a pang of sadness as I left the showground to wearily make my way back to my B&B in Hythe. The atmosphere was incredible... Billed as 'the greatest gathering of military vehicles on the planet' there's no doubt, in my mind at least, that this year's show must surely have lived up to that claim. However, in the various discussions that I got into with visitors, there was still a certain amount of hankering after its former venue at the Hop Farm in Beltring, where the War and Peace show had been held for the past 25 years. The inaugural War and Peace Revival (W&PR) was held at the Folkestone site last year and although the organisers have worked hard to overcome the issue of distance between attractions by laying on special transport courtesy of Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, there were still comments about just how spread out everything was. As I understand it, at Beltring the arena was more central, with everything radiating off it, which not only made flitting between one section and another far easier but also provided a 360 degree view of what was going on in the way of mock battles.

No comments: