Thursday, July 24, 2014

Scale Aviation Modeller International 08/2014

I always felt that the Salmson 2A2 was an ugly bird! Some aircraft are so ugly they are beautiful, but I'm afraid the Salmson was not an aircraft that I would put in to this category. I think part of this is down to the short stubby undercarriage, which looks out of place supporting such a large fuselage. I would guess that I am not the only one with this opinion and certainly the Salmson has been relatively ignored up until recently, which considering the large number of aircraft built and the type's association with the US air service is a little surprising. I can only think of a short-run plastic kit by Pegasus, and the CMR resin kit (which I believe is still available), both of which are 1/72. And then, three years ago Gaspatch showed off test shots of a 1/48 kit at the UK Nationals. Wind forward to Scale ModelWorld 2013 and the kit finally arrived, only to be followed by the announcement of a 1/32 Salmson from Wingnut Wings, which arrived just over a month later. I purchased my Gaspatch kit at Telford and was lucky enough to be offered the Wingnut Wings kit for review shortly after. It seemed only fair to treat each kit equally and build them together. Both kits are equally impressive'in the box' and there are indeed many similarities between the two products. Both contain comprehensive decals sheets with options for five aircraft. Both contain a detailed and clear instruction booklet.

No comments: