Thursday, May 29, 2014

Scale Aviation Modeller International 06/2014

This recycling thing isn't new, is it? Just rebranded every few years. I first saw the Mistel 1 in model form in the early 70s when someone had exhibited a 1/32 example at the Model Engineering exhibition in London - I didn't attend because in those days I was earning £7 a week and being a young chap had other pursuits in mind. I was however still making the occasional kit when not working or out with my mates, and I bought a copy of Scale Models with the Mistel on the front page and remember reading how the maker had used the Revell 109F and an MHW vacform Ju 88 (remember MHW?). I concluded that this was way beyond my meagre financial means and that I'd probably botch the vacform, never having attempted one, but it made quite an impression on me. I did attempt a 1 /72 build using Frog kits of the 109F and Ju 88 but wasn't happy with it and like many others sat back and waited for something larger. Dragon came up with most of the goods some years later with their Mistel 2 and this was purchased, the Fw 190 put to other uses and a Hasegawa 109F mounted on top. It looked fine, in fact I still have it, but it wasn't what I wanted. Some years later AIMS began producing 1/32 Ju 88 conversions after Revell's bold step in producing a kit in that scale, so I was nearly there at last. I'd bought a couple at half price when Modelzone closed their shop in Birmingham and had them stashed so when I saw AIMS' Mistel conversion at last year's Nationals, hand interfaced with wallet and I bought one. The same day I saw Trumpeter's 109G at half price and decided that my Mistel would be a late-war version as seen in Classic Publication's book.

No comments: