Thursday, May 8, 2014

Model Military International 06/2014

A posting on HyperScale and a couple of busy threads on Facebook recently have suggested that some model articles feature too much aftermarket. Hopefully, any detailed model article will include plenty of useful information for those who build the model straight from the box as well as those who choose to add aftermarket, so it should ideally offer the best of both worlds. It was also suggested that the author of a model article should tell the readers about the value of any aftermarket item. I always try to explain why I use an aftermarket item, but I believe that the question of value is in the eye (or the wallet) of the beholder. My job as I see it is to offer enough information and photos to let the potential purchaser make up their own mind. Some thought that two kits should be built side-by-side - one straight from the box and one enhanced with aftermarket. I have actually done exactly that when I have written modeling books on specific subjects, but it is difficult to find the time and space to do this online or in the magazines. However, rather than justify my use (or otherwise) of aftermarket parts, I thought it might be more interesting to let the plastic do the talking and list every kit - both military and aircraft - that I have built since the beginning of 2013, along with the aftermarket used on each one. Please note that I have not listed paints, decals or weathering products here.

No comments: