Thursday, February 27, 2014

Scale Military Modeller International 03/2014

SMMI is always delighted to feature the thoughts of individual modellers and manufacturers, and its a pleasure to welcome Schaun Myers, AFV enthusiast and US Army Chaplain... I don't know if you've ever noticed, but many 'author bio's' at the end of articles in modelling magazines start with something like 'after a break of twenty-five years, I recently got back into the hobby' I too can make the same statement in my armour building career. I was a voracious model builder in my teens, and would glue together anything I could get my hands on! I ended up building in 1:35 and was pretty much on top of what was being produced in the early eighties by Tamiya, Italeri, Peerless, and Monogram. But then life happened, with college, graduate school and marriage, three kids and a career. I built a few 1:48 Navy planes while in grad school, but there just wasn't enough time in the day to do the quality of work I wanted. So I put away my airbrush and tools, and boxed up my remaining built models and kits. Eventually I joined the Army at 39 as a Chaplain, and went to Iraq in 2009. I got home and was dealing with post-deployment issues, nothing serious but still things I had to work through. My neighbour graciously gave me and Italeri M4A1, and told me to get back into modelling!

No comments: