Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Military Modelling Vol.43 No.13

I've written one or two articles about Young Miniatures offerings in the past and always been complimentary towards them so please forgive me for gushing a bit about this one! It's perhaps not as charismatic as the Hector piece I painted (see MM Vol.42 No.10), which after all is fashioned after an actor in a Hollywood movie. In fact it'll have a bit of work to do to equal the Hector kit in my eyes. In fairness, this being an historical representation, I should look more to the accuracy of the armour and accoutrements, rather than focusing on how photogenic it is. This gives me a problem though, because after all, we'd like our painted pieces to stand out if they're not in the display cabinet - to draw the eye. I'm not sure (at this point, because he's still in bits as I write this) whether that'll be the case. However, the box art promises quite a lot, so I suppose it's a little adventure worth following to see what's at the end. The box art as I've mentioned is competent, not too flashy and "you'll never paint to this standard" flashy, which must encourage the beginner and intermediate modellers. The box art is also lifelike and this makes you want to see if you can paint as well - I think that's a good thing.

No comments: