Thursday, November 14, 2013

How To Build Tamiya's Aircraft

When I started building models as a child, the choice of kits available to me and my far from large pocket-money budget, were from Airfix, Matchbox and Revell. I remember clearly seeing these appear in my local post office and that rush of excitement when the time came to build another little masterpiece. Though these kits were great at the time, the arrival of a monthly magazine (Airfix), ushered in hitherto unknown ranges, Monogram, Heller and ultimately, Tamiya. It would be a while though before I would be able to enjoy any of these kits -especially Tamiya's excellent aircraft - but once I did, I knew I would be hooked for life. My first experience of a Tamiya aircraft kit was their original Harrier Jump Jet. I'd always been a fan of this aircraft - indeed, I still am! - so when the chance and the money became available to buy this kit, it was an opportunity not to be missed. When I had it in my hands and opened that box for the first time, I simply couldn't believe my eyes. Up until that point I'd only ever built small 1:72 aircraft kits, so this was a real step up. It was bigger of course, but the detail seemed extraordinary and there was an engine in there! I'd never seen an engine in a kit, let alone a jet! What a joy! Everything just seemed so exotic, with instructions in Japanese; little cartoon characters telling you how to build the kit; parts in their own little bags...

No comments: