Friday, October 18, 2013

Military Modelling Vol.43 No.11

Tamiya's 1:35 scale British Ambulance Rover 7 (item 35082) and its cousin the SAS Land-Rover Pink Panther (item 35076) were released in 1976. Now approaching 40-years of age the detail on these models is, on close observation, comparable to most high-end models released today. There is little in the way of seam lines, they are void of flash and feature only a few pin-marks. I have had the Ambulance model for years but never really took the time to study it. I did see the model built up once at a show and as I have never built any model subject that was post-WW2, I decided to give this model a try. The kit comes on three sprues moulded in a dark green plastic, a decal sheet, two figures and a clear sprue for the windows. There is very little detail on the interior of the driver's cab and the rear ambulance body is equally void of much detail. On checking for after-market products I found that the SAS Pink Panther variant does have an etched set by Eduard but I was unable to find anything for the Ambulance version. Although it does say on many websites that the Tamiya Rover Ambulance 7 is out of production, I did find many outlets that still carry the model - and for a very good price (all under £10). I measured out the model and it appears that the model is a relatively good representation scale-wise.

No comments: