Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Workbench Miniatures - One Man's Junk

Over the many years that I've been a modelling enthusiast, my overriding interests have been military in nature. From aircraft to armoured vehicles, dioramas to miniature figurines, I've covered almost every base imaginable - and plenty more besides! Sure, I've dabbled in more 'civilian' areas, building racing cars, spaceships, motorcycles and trucks, but more often than not, these have been merely a passing fancy, an enjoyable detour from the path to being a better 'military' modeller. Well, that is until recently, when my interests started to change. The main attraction to being a 'military' modeller, was always the weathering that could be applied to the models. They no longer needed to be clean and tidy, toy-like objects. They could instead, be scaled-down representations of real machines, dirt covered and well-used. I loved the idea that I could represent the world around me in miniature and that fuelled my enthusiasm and determination to build more and more realistic models. Then something happened: I realised that I could also do this with non-military subjects! I could build machines seen in use around me, day in, day out and still be able to indulge in the weathering practices that I so enjoyed. I had, to all intents and purposes, found modelling nirvana!

No comments: