Saturday, May 4, 2013

Aero Modeller No.920

It is often said, that our teenage years, represent the most formative times of our lives. We take on board many such things, that stay with us, forever, into our dotage. From the aeromodelling standpoint, that is certainly true of me. I built, and flew, model aeroplanes from an early age, but it was not until I was in my late teens, at the tail end of the 1950’s, that I discovered control line. I was fortunate enough, back then, to fly with an enthusiastic group of young guys on the Three Kings Piece, in South London, later to spawn the Three Kings Model Club, which, at the time, was one of the definitive C/L clubs in the country. One of my mentors was H.C. Queck, whose profile scale, WWII, warbird-based, stunters featured as plans in AeroModeller, back then, and whose designs are still valid, today. Oddly, mine always came out looking like Hurricanes, but Quecky left an indelible mark on my thinking, which I have re-visited on several occasions, since, witness my variety of “designs”, published in AeroModeller, and elsewhere, since.

No comments: