Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Military Illustrated Modeller Issue 20

I have been modelling armour for nearly ten years now, and in that time I have been consistent in building large tanks; Tiger, Panthers, Abrams, you name it. I wanted to something different and was intrigued by the Grille which is based on the Czechoslovakian 38t chassis. This chassis would prove to be very reliable and adaptable for the Germans in WW2. There were two different versions of the Grille, the Ausf.M version was based on the Marder III M configuration with a mid-engine chassis, and rear fighting compartment. I decided to build the Ausf.H version because it had a larger fighting compartment, and an opportunity to stuff more details in a tiny space. One day I was perusing Griffon Model's website and saw pictures of their deluxe photo-etch set for the Grille and knew then I had to have this for my project. This set is insane, comprising of thirteen different frets of photo etch not to mention various wiring, tubing, decals, and ammunition holders. To take on such a big project you need good references, looking around I found an Osprey Modelling series book called Modelling the German 15cm slG33 Bison and Grille by Gary Edmundson. I also purchased, after a great debate, the Nuts and Bolts volume 26 book which covers the Grille in great extent.

No comments: