Monday, April 1, 2013

FineScale Modeler Supplement - Essential Finishing Techniques

I love Luftwaffe aircraft, but as a modeler, they drive me crazy - the machines are interesting and great to model, but most of them have horribly complicated, seemingly impossible-to-airbrush camouflage schemes. More often than not, I find myself taking the easy way out and applying the simplest (and usually boring) scheme to whatever I've picked to build. When I bought Tamiya's 1/48 scale Focke-Wulf Fw 190F-8 (No. 61039) I started to rethink things. The kit includes markings for a 190 stationed in Italy in 1944; its unusual tropical scheme was field-applied over the aircraft's factory finish. The upper-fuselage markings were completely painted out, and what markings remained were covered with bits of overspray. I was hooked. I knew I had to model that scheme, but how would I apply the pattern? As I plotted my plan of attack, I wondered if I could take things one step further - could I apply a complicated finish without breaking out one of my tricky-to-clean double-action airbrushes? The challenge was worth the effort.

No comments: