Tuesday, March 26, 2013

AFV Modeller Issue 15

After a hiatus of nearly 25 years I have returned to my boyhood hobby; that of modelling armored fighting vehicles. It was a chance conversation with a friend in a local model shop that led me to wonder what kinds of models were being made today I then spent about two months surfing the internet where I discovered some wondrous things; modern highly detailed plastic injection kits, resin conversions, metal gun barrels, amazing photo-etch detail sets and, perhaps most interestingly to myself, working metal tracks! I was hooked, there was no turning back and almost at the same time my wife bought tor mo the Academy mid-production Tiger 1 with a detailed Interior. And so began this project which to date has taken over seventeen months and has only seen the creation of the kit hull, without dock and turret. As a child I had only modelled in 72nd scale and so working in 35th was completely new to me Right from the outset I was determined that I would do as good a job as possible and I realised that quite a bit of research would be required. What I will therefore try to describe in this article is more of the thought processes that went Into this project rather than the actual build itself.

No comments: