Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Made in Holland - A Portfolio of Dutch Master Modellers


Ever since I started to build dioramas, I had plans to build a factory scene. I just couldn't find the proper motivation or inspiration for it. One day I was doing some research on the SIG 33 on Pzlll chassis, and learned that some 24 of these vehicles were sent to the Stalingrad area to be put into operational use for the first time. All 24 were lost. They were simply not equipped for fighting in built-up areas. Looking at Roy Schurgers' diorama "Firestarter", I was mesmerized by the idea and how he displayed it, so I decided to tell the same story, only this time the Russians would be the fire starters. The idea was that a Sig33 had to drive through a tractor factory in Stalingrad to support some infantry. The Russians started to hunt down the vehicle. The opportunity presented itself via a raised walkway for the Russians to get above the German tank and attack it with a Molotov cocktail.

No comments: