Sunday, January 20, 2013

Armour Modelling


I have been a model builder for nearly 60 years, using many different materials and methods. My first was a Matilda tank, made in 1947 with cardboard cut from breakfast cornflake boxes, but as well as tanks I have built models ranging from aircraft carved in sections from solid balsa wood to large-scale cars and full-rigged sailing ships. Many of the methods I used are still the same for 21st-century plastic models; even the carving of balsa wood prepared me to shape new parts from solid plastic! Some years ago, because there had been many comments from newcomers to model building that no-one explained the techniques they needed to know to handle the increasing number of etched-metal and resin accessories and conversions appearing on the market, I wrote for Military Modelling magazine a series called the 'Tank Modelling Course' aimed specifically to meet their needs.

No comments: