Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Military Modelcraft - 06 2004


All my models are sprayed with Tamiya acrylics and the following methods were used on all vehicles in this diorama. The advantage of using acrylics is thai they dry almost instantly. Before applying the basecoat, I underrated with a light grey. When dry, I pre-shade with red brown XF 64 in all the joints and around all the raised areas. The basecoat of desert yellow plus dark yellow XF59/60 is now applied, allowing the pre-shading to faintly show through. To achieve the hard edge effect I was after I cut out the camouflage pattern from low-tack tape, the idea being to use this as a template, one for the green pattern and a separate one for the brown (When sticking the template on be careful not damage any small details.) Starting with the green areas (I add yellow green XF4 to olive green XF58.) carefully start the pattern. When happy, apply the red brown XF64 the same way. When dry, lightly spray the base coat (XF59 plus 60) over the top of the camouflage pattern as this has the effect of fading the paintwork.

No comments: