Saturday, February 7, 2009

Military Modelling 04 1997


Having finished most of the work on the rider, I now turned my attention to the horse. Sorting through my collection of Historex horse parts, I chose two body halves and a head that gave me the galloping pose I was looking for. The first job was to hollow out the underneath of the hooves and fit Historex horseshoes. I detailed the fetlocks with a pyro-gravure, and then glued the body halves together. A hole was drilled up the rear left leg from the hoof and a length of aluminium tube glued in to act as a peg to secure the horse to the base. I now turned my attention to the head. First, the lower jaw was cut away and it and the upper jaw were hollowed out. Front teeth were added from plastic card and a pro-trading tongue from Milliput. Some years ago, I read an article in Military Modelling March 1986 by Dr. Mike Thomas about reworking and improving the harnessing on Historex horses. I decided to use his techniques on my model. The exact methods are fully described in the article, and basically consist of removing all the moulded-on detail, and replacing it with individual straps cut from electrical insulating tape. It was a lot of work, but it certainly-improved the appearance of the model considerably and I was very pleased with the final result.


No comments: