Saturday, February 7, 2009

Model Magazine International 05 2007


To be honest, I started to build this model with mixed emotions. At first, I did not like the early Tiger that much as my favourite has always been the later production variants, and secondly I did not feel familiar to the scale. Being used to 1:35 kits it appeared simply too small to me! But the more I slipped into this project the more I began to like it. Even though the early Tiger misses some of the photogenic additions of its successors, it has some advantages. When it appeared on the battlefield, the Tigers fighting capabilities were so superior to its opponents that it was able to withstand the fierce battles significantly longer than the later Tigers were, after the Allies had managed to close this gap. So the early Tiger is for sure a most worthy subject for the extensive application of battle damage and heavy weathering - as mentioned before the main reason for me to choose a modelling subject. In addition, looking at the breathtaking jobs some guys do in particular with 1:48 model planes (or even smaller scales) made me rather ambitious. Thus I was after reaching approximately the same level of detail 1 had become used to in 1:35 to take up this challenge.


No comments: