Saturday, February 7, 2009

Model Magazine International 08 2008


My intention when deciding to produce this page on these classic Airfix sets was a slightly self-indulgent but hopefully entertaining look at some fun kits from years ago, but this changed a little when I actually received them from the manufacturer. My abiding memory of the Jungle Outpost and the Forward Command Post were the vacuum-formed bases that formed the key part of the kit. to which the buildings, accessories and figures were mounted. I was quite looking forward to seeing these slightly flimsy but well detailed mouldings, but upon opening the boxes, none were to be found! Only the injection moulded sprues were to present, and I have to admit to a little tinge of disappointment. I'm not sure why the bases are no longer supplied, however the injection parts still look very crisp and appealingly detailed given their vintage, and the memories came flooding back when looking at the dispatch rider and the tiny bicycles in the Forward Observation Post, and the very nicely rendered figures and bamboo-textured building components in the Jungle Outpost set. I'll just need to get out the packet of filler and fine sand to form bases for these kits if I want to replicate their original appearance!


No comments: