Saturday, February 7, 2009

FineScale Modeler 05 2003


I have long wanted to build Revell's old "Bubbletop Jug." Like the 1/32 scale Revell F4U-1A I built (see "Modeling Ike Kepfords Corsair" in the October 2002 FSM), it is a "diamond in the rough" - a pretty rough one at that. The model is impressively large, making superdetailing easier. I knew I would have to do plenty of scratchbuilding to bring this kit up to showcase quality; it promised to be a long-term project right from the start. Machine guns and bays. Instead of building the cockpit first as usual, I started the project by opening and scratchbuilding the left wing gun bay. First, I used Dymo labeling tape for a guide as I scored around the panel lines with a scribing tool. I followed that with the razor saw, cutting out both gun cover and ammo tray panels.


No comments: