Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Model Magazine International 10-11 2003


The Olive Green camouflage colour was chipped first with the Sand colour, then with the Russian Green. Some of the Sand coloured chips have Russian Green chips underneath them. All of the chips & scratches were applied to heavy use areas using a very fine brush. The final chip colour was a dark Rust colour, which was applied just on the corners & edges of parts. This process was very tedious and time consuming, but necessary for realism. Now the model was very dynamic with colour, but still not quite realistic to me. The final weathering step was to make it dirty. The Egyptians used their SA-6 in a desert environment, and they used it heavily during the war. When the missile fired, it kicked-up an enormous amount of dust. When the vehicle drove at speed, it also kicked-up lots of dust. So I added lots of dust! This was done by first airbrushing a very thin layer mixed from Tamiya Buff & Desert Yellow overall. concentrating more on the lower areas around the wheels & tracks, and also the rear plate. At first this frightened me because it removed the harsh richness of the colours I worked so hard to apply before. Later, after looking at it for an hour or so, I got adjusted to the appearance. Finally I added more concentrated dust to the corners & recesses along the upper surfaces. This was done by mixing MIG Productions pigment colours until I found the shade I was looking for, then mixing it with some water. I brushed this 'wash' into the areas that I needed concentrated dust. In less than an hour all dust was dry. Naturally some dust was deposited in undesirable places, but it was easily blended out with a clean, dry brush. Finally, a few heavy use areas were lightly rubbed with graphite to bring a polished steel effect. As the SA-6 was a new vehicle in Egyptian service, I tried not to overdo this.

No comments: