Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Model Airplane International 02 2007


The kit comes in an end-opening box that is a bit of a pain but I transferred all parts into a lid type so it wasn't too bad. Whilst I did so I had a good look at the parts. The old ICM had a reputation for leaving a thick mould release agent all over the sprues, but I am happy to report that the new ICM kits don't suffer from this. All parts are well moulded with very nice engraved lines although some of the details can be on the soft side and the rear clear canopy for the older framed canopy was malformed. I hope this was an isolated case. With the bits in the box an E-3, 4 and 7 can be modelled as well as the tropical versions, obviously. The decal sheet was matt and there were some minor registration issues but looks good over all. To sum up the kit in the box looks very nice indeed but how does it go together. You wont be shocked to discover that construction started in the cockpit. The detail is good with nice depth to the sidewall details. Everything was painted Gunze Sangyo RLM 66, given a wash with Humbrol matt black and then matt varnished using Xtracrylics superb acrylic matt. All the bits were then given a drybrushing of light grey and paint chips were added with a silver pencil. I tried to add some Eduard seat belts but the lap straps failed to conform over the narrow seat. I may not have annealed them enough or perhaps I was having an off day so t decided not fo bother with them (my excuse being this is a from the box review!). The instrument panel and Revi gunsight were painted with Tamiya matt black and given a drybrush of medium grey and then various details were picked out with colour. I didn't worry about being too neat as I was modelling the box top desert machine and the clear mouldings for the 'square' frame are a single piece.

No comments: