Saturday, July 25, 2009

Model Airplane International 01 2006


The build began with the Mercedes engine and it is quite convincing once painted in suitable metallic shades, although you may want to add some wiring if you intend to leave the cowls off. Next were all the interior components and my method for creating varnished wood involves an undercoat of Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow followed by a heavily thinned wash of burnt sienna oil paint, streaked across it. Construction moved on apace and it was now that things started to get a little tricky. I had been forewarned that the engine could be 'interesting' to enclose with the multi-part cowling, and all I would add is that you need to take your time and continuously sand and test until a good fit is achieved. I do suspect that this kit is better suited to having the engine exposed as even with a great deal of care I still had to perform a bit of surgery on the rear crankshaft to get the engine to fit.

No comments: