Wednesday, June 3, 2009

N Scale Railroading 07-08 2008


For those of you following our series, welcome to the scenery techniques for the Spokane International Ry. If you're interested in modeling Northwest scenery for your portable layout or module, you picked a great time to join us. Before 1 get started, I was given the task to create the specific scenery found in the upper panhandle of Idaho. Mike Pagano supplied a few photos of the NP right of way cuts and fills plus the lake fill and the abandoned tunnel and the general hillsides for me to review (See figures 1,2&3).This gave me a feel of the area I was trying to recreate as a model. Traditional scenery material of plaster or Hydrocal was not what Mike had in mind for a lightweight portable project. I told him I had some experience with Styrofoam so Mike gladly gave me the job of getting the scenery looking like Mother Nature. The scenery techniques I am illustrating here can be adapted to other types of mountain terrain. Previously, Mike had designed and placed the track, structures, town, and lake. Now, my job was to make the ground scenery fit in naturally with these features. The final impression we wanted was for the entire layout to look realistic.

No comments: