Thursday, May 30, 2013

Model Airplane News 08/2013

I first saw the Carbon-Z Splendor BNF Basic from E-flite at the Horizon Hobby booth at the WRAM show. Being an F3A precision aerobatic monoplane, it was hard to miss with its nice, sleek appearance. Designed by world aerobatic champion Quique Somenzini, it is part of the Carbon-Z series. Extremely popular with aerobatic pilots, these molded Z-Foam aircraft are lightweight and very rugged. Many years ago, I cut my pattern teeth with kit-built designs like the Bridi Kaos and Super Kaos, but I had never flown a modern F3A design. After chatting with the Horizon Hobby booth guys, I learned that Quique had an aircraft in mind that could perform all the modern F3A sequences, while still retaining a strong power-to-weight ratio suitable for 3D aerobatics. With a lead-in like that, how could I not want to fly this impressive aerobat?

No comments: