Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Military in Scale 02 2004


There are two excellent 1/35 scale kits available that could be used as a basis for this project. Dragon/DML/Revell offer the Panzer III J kit - originally a Gunze Sangyo hi-tech kit - in a variety of boxes. Alternatively, Tamiya released a newly tooled kit of the Panzer III L a few years ago - far better than their original 1970s Panzer III. I had a Tamiya example available so that's what I used. I started by constructing the lower hull, following the kit instructions. I left off the splash-guard around the turret ring and the spaced armour in front of the driver's/gunner's compartment. I also omitted the small domed access plate from the lower rear hull - actually I glued it on without thinking and had to remove it later!). Although there are a vast array of after-market accessories available for the Panzer III. the Tamiya kit doesn't really need much extra detailing. I purchased and used a set of exhaust grilles from Czech company, Elefant. The only piece of surgery I attempted was to open up one of the side escape hatches. Later Panzer IIIs were built without the hatches, so if you don't want to do this, you can either leave them off entirely or glue them closed.

No comments: