Friday, July 10, 2009

N-Scale 01-02 2009


Atlas Model Railroad Company has recently released a model of the EMD GP15-1. 1 picked up four undecorated units from my local hobby shop and decided to put them to the test. Right out of the box, I noted that the fuel tank is not a plastic shell snapped over the frame, but rather, is molded into the frame itself. This is a handy way for Atlas to save on cost while still providing the detail needed. A quick shot of "Grimy Black" and it will look as good as any plastic molding. Additionally, the horns and plows were in a little bag of parts for the modeler to apply. Applying these details is a simple task. While in the store, I also took a look at a painted version and noted that the paint was applied in a thin, but opaque manner so as to let the detail of the castings show through very nicely. Running qualities of my undecorated units are quite good. 1 was able to set the four units on my test track, separated by about 16", start them all together and have them maintain their separation for a few times around the loop. After I gave them an hour of break-in running forward, then another hour backwards, I tried the separation test again. This time there were two locos that ran slightly faster than the other two. I have two sets of two that run perfectly together as a duo.

No comments: