Thursday, July 30, 2009

Model Magazine International 06 2005


Even though I'm not a follower of WWII Japanese aircraft, I have to admit that I had a weak spot for the Ki-84, so when I had the opportunity to have a look at the content of the box, I couldn't resist to buy it and start it right away, putting aside all my other on-going projects. When I work on large scale models, I like to add texture to their skin. For this purpose, 'Rosie the Riveteer' was put to good use: this very clever tool is made of a rotating pounce wheel that allows to replicate rows of rivets with a perfectly regular spacing. Although some would use a ruler as a guide or at least draw the rivet pattern onto the wings and fuselage, with a (very) little practice, it is possible to rivet a whole model in a few hours without even using any other tool or even drawing the rivet lines. A good three-view drawing of the aircraft will be the best help for this enterprise. Try it, you might even find this fun... Once this work was done, I could start the model per se. Since I wanted to do it as a quick build project I added very few extras - the high level of details allows you to do so and concentrate on the painting and weathering.

No comments: