Thursday, July 23, 2009

Model Airplane International 08 2006


In pursuing a hobby we all try to juggle both improving our game' as well as learning new techniques and technology. It is not always easy, but there are so many useful bits of equipment around that once you have them you would just never go back (like a dishwasher -1 said a dish-w-a-s-h-e-r. oh forget it!). Nevertheless, one of the things I have always had a bit of a fascination with is the whole process of airbrushing, more so the skill of others than my own. I started like everyone with a motley collection of paintbrushes and never had the money until about 12-14 years ago to purchase an airbrush. I opted right from the start not to use canned propellant, simple because as a teenager I worked in the holidays with my uncle in his motorcycle repair business and knew just how good a real airbrush and compressor could be. In the intervening years I have struggled to get to grips with working with an airbrush and have to admit I was quite pleased with my level until I started to encounter the likes of Steve Evans. Marcus, Spud etc. Having seen how it should be done I started to rethink the whole process and get to grips with it. But then I experienced a bit of a revelation. I got hold of an Iwata airbrush. I had heard about them before and got to see them in use when I joined ADH. but it was not until I actually got one that I realised that this was all of a sudden a whole different ball-game. Don't get me wrong.

No comments: