Saturday, July 11, 2009

Military in Scale 12 2003


Tamiya's late Tiger I was groundbreaking when it came out in the late 1980s. It featured individual link tracks, even though they were DM quite accurate. It also featured in-house aftermarket upgrades in the form of photoetched engine grilles and turned brass ammunition. But perhaps most significantly of all. the late Tiger I was an all-new kit. Tamiya had not just revised its original early Tiger I, but had released a brand new model with state-of-the-art levels of detail. The late Tiger I went on to spawn all the major Tiger variants - initial production, early production, mid production and Sturmtiger. Although it is now around 15 years old, it is still a superb kit today. The kit can be built as either a late model or final model Tiger I. The major differences are the size of the muzzle brake and the turret roof details. Like most kits, Tamiya's late Tiger I will please most people as it comes, while superdetailers can use it as a platform to add whatever amount of extra detail they feel is appropriate. I carried out a fairly basic upgrade on my Tiger. adding new tracks and small resin details from Anvil Miniatures, etched engine grilles from Aber, a new gun barrel from Elefant. FineMolds' German AFV periscope set and finally two tiny wing nuts from ModelKasten.

No comments: