Saturday, January 3, 2009

FineScale Modeler 07 2007


Modeling and history go together. Almost even' model out there is of a historical object. Whether it is a World War II Spitfire, a 1957 Chevy, or an Iraq War Bradley, modelers endeavor to reproduce the thing as it appeared at a particular time and place. Every modeler I've met is a history buff. Most can recite details of the Battle of the Bulge or the structure of Roman legions. Modelers' reading lists include historical biographies and narratives. Then there's personal history. How many of us have chosen to build a model because of a personal connection with the prototype? Active duty soldiers, sailors, and airmen build tanks, ships, or planes they served on or in. Modelers build cars they've owned. Me? I want to build models of the airliners I've flown on, or those I saw during trips to Eagle Farm Airport with my dad. Beyond that is family history. I'm referring to the way in which many of us were first introduced to the hobby - by a family member, often a father or older brother. Whenever I sit down at my workbench, I get a strong sense of family connection.


No comments: